[PD] GUI as external program

lee lee at fallingforward.net
Mon Jul 5 20:17:25 CEST 2004

Has anyone on this list seen or created a graphical interface that sends
messages to PD using an external GUI toolkit? While the TCL/TK style is
functional, it's not exactly "modern" as far as GUIs come. I was looking
at wxWindows, since it already supports all of PD's target platforms:

http://wxwindows.sourceforge.net/
http://wxwindows.sourceforge.net/screen03.htm

I have no practical experience with this kind of programming, but I
think using PD for only DSP and writing the C++ GUI code to pass
messages to PD via the [netreceive] object could open up some amazing
user interface possibilities (pull down menus, for one). Obviously it
won't be realtime box/patchcord style and each GUI will have to be
custom built, but it's an idea...

-lee