[PD] Setting up USB MIDI in Linux questions............

chun lee leechun at leechun.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 10:08:35 CEST 2004

Hi there:

I am trying to get my midisport to work with my pd on a linux laptop.
However, I am a bit confused as to what I would need to do this. I am using
Fedora Core 2.

So far, I understand that I need

1. a firmware that will be downloaded to the midisport
2. software to download the firmware to the midisport
3. a usbmidi driver?

And I found these:

1. usbmidi-20040516.tar.gz
2. hotplug hotplug-gtk

My questions are:

1. Is the 'usbmidi-20040516.tar.gz' the firmware? Or the usbmidi driver? Or
are firmware and the driver the same thing?

2. I only have one midisport and is shared between my Mac and Linux, once I
have downloaded the firmware into the midisport, would I still be able to
use it with Mac OSX. I have read that between XP and Linux, this is ok. How
about with Mac OSX?

Many many thanks

Yours

CHUN