[PD] Trouble getting alsa audio output

stan wikey stanwikey at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 01:15:40 CEST 2004

Hello,

I just started using pd in linux and I'm having a
problem getting audio output.  When I start, I see
these messages:

/dev/dsp (read/write): No such file or directory
(now will try write-only...)
/dev/dsp (writeonly): No such file or directory
/dev/dsp (readonly): No such file or directory

I do not have the /dev/dsp, however I have other audio
apps such as xmms working properly.  How can I correct
this situation?  I was under the impression that
/dev/dsp is specific to oss, not alsa?

This is with an maudio audiophile 2496 pci card and
kernel 2.6.4 with alsa drivers.

Thanks,
Austin