[PD] potentially n00bish question, confused about cross platform gate?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 14 21:45:07 CEST 2004

Hallo,
doktorp hat gesagt: // doktorp wrote:

> since it seems my 'gate' object is non-standard,

> 1) why is it included in the OS X installer package, if it can
> potentially break others patches/not work with their PD?.

The OS-X installer includes many useful so called "externals", which
are extensions written by other authors. They are included because
they are useful---you yourself also seemed to find [gate] useful---but
if you want to make sure, everyone can open your patches, you either
should specify which externals you use so others can install them as
well, or use only internal objects. Almost everything that is in
lib/extra and lib/externs is an external (fiddle~, bonk~ and the expr
family are externals, but they are distributed with pd upstream, so
they should be fine).

> 2) where can one get either switch (im not using msp chains so I
> dont/cant use switch~) or the version of gate that allows for n>2
> outlets with an int specified for the selected outlet to open and 0
> to close all? 3) see points 1. and 2. =)

Build an abstraction using only internal objects. The Cyclone
collection also includes a [switch] external. (I don't know why you
don't have it as well, as you seem to have Cyclone externals
installed.)

It would be better to built your needed funcionality as an
abstraction, though, for portability. I attached an example I quickly
hacked together while writing this mail. Excercise for the reader: Add
a last outlet a la [route] that allows 8gate to be chained.

Ciao