[PD] shell and lftp

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jul 16 10:47:56 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> aym3ric wrote:
> > hi list,
> >
> > lftp -e "open some.site.net && user username pass && cd www && put
> > ftp.png && exit"
> >
> > but when i send this message to the shell object i get this error:
> > executing
> >
> > read(0): Bad file descriptor
> >

> > is there some parsing or something else limitations with this object ?
>
> to me it looks rather like a problem with the file ftp.png itself;
> are you sure the file is found ? (as i remember the [shell] defaults to
> some unexpected(?) home-directory - like "/" or "~")
> does it work when you try to *get* something from the ftp ?
>
> and of course there might be a problem with the quotes.

I normally use shell to call shellscripts. This way you can get rid
of Pd's parsing problem and actually implement what you want to do in
a scripting language of your choice.
At the same time you can get rid of unwanted output from the commands
that you call.

The default directory of shell is the directory where you started pd.
(Not the directory of the patch ... which is a bit ugly).

Guenter