[PD] display bitmap [errata corr]

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Tue Jul 20 16:09:12 CEST 2004

hi Lazzaro,

having a working toxy, one may use images as regular Pd gui
objects -- in a similar way, as a Maxer putting pictctrls in
a patcher window.

The simplest could be a label widget (button and radiobutton are
almost as simple).  First, a label widget type should be defined,
say, in a file lbpict.wid (a good idea, perhaps, is for me to
standardize these into setup.wid):

proc ::toxy::lbpict {path fname} {
     $path config -image [image create photo -file $fname]
}

#> lbpict label

::toxy::lbpict .- .#fname

Then the Pd syntax is [widget lbpict <anyname> #fname <somepict>].

Unfortunately, out-of-the-box Tk only handles gifs and ppms.
Another drawback is Tk always displaying widget items on top of
everything else.

The main point is that toxy has been released experimentally, not
as a finished tool.  Nothing is fixed, .wid file syntax in
particular...

Krzysztof