[PD] external loading suggestion

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 20 18:20:52 CEST 2004

On Jul 20, 2004, at 10:47 AM, guenter geiger wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>> the externals that have been written several times have been written,
>> because different people needed the same, more or less basic, that's
>> not
>> implemented as pd internal... (on cvs, there are 3 counters, including
>> the flext tutorial, excluding the gem counter and 4 prepends)
>
> They have been implemented several times because there was no central
> CVS
> and people did not know that they already exist. Another case that
> demonstrates why the CVS is a good thing.

I strongly second that opinion.

>> i would deeply suggest that all the developers (iohannes, d.ly,
>> krzysztof, thomas, guenter for counter or prepend) who are involved in
>> these nameclashes, discuss about their opinion on these externals, and
>> implement one of them in the appropiate place ...
>
> yep, we have discussed the prepend case, the solution is in CVS. Miller
> has the decision if he want to include it in pd.
>
> Would be good if the counter case would be discussed too by those
> involved.

I think that we should also use the cyclone [counter].  We should use
the Max-compatible objects first, unless there is a very good reason to
do otherwise.  Other counter-type objects can just as easily have
different names.  Plus with many of the help files linking to all
related objects, it makes it much easier to figure out which specific
object serves your purpose.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams