[PD] setable values

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jul 20 18:36:58 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> sorry, i wasn't very detailed ... in the setup i'm working at, i have a
> pool object containing a list of symbols.
> each symbol represents a value object |value symbolxy|

Ah, okay, now I understand. I don't know if it helps with your
problem, but are you aware, that "pool" also supports global pools, by
naming the pool? pool names also are settable, so you may already have
the settable [value] in [pool] - and then some.

> what i want is accessing the |value| object using the output stream from
> pool.
>
> to do that, i can either create each |value| by messages, or (what i
> would prefer) "set" the value...

I can see your motivation, but my usual caveat applies here as well:
You would create two incompatible Pd version with doing that as an
internal: MSP Pd and CVS-Pd. I don't think it's a good idea, in fact
I'm convinced, doing this is a bad idea and would make all hell break
loose. ;)

> since object creation by messages for let's say 100 values is probably
> not very fast and the patch looks really ugly now, i'd prefer to use a
> setable value ...

I'm not really into the depths of the Pd source, but couldn't this
create similar problems as settable sends/receives create? Also you
could work with abstractions and pass the $0 from the parent patch as
a creation argument. I do this extensively in RRADical to create
somehow-non-local-but-still-not-totally-global variables.

> of course, i can also write an external, but to me it would make more
> sense to implement it in pd itself...

Not if you consider my above caveat to be true and want to keep patch
compatibility.

Ciao