[PD] types of distortion

pix pix at test.at
Tue Jul 20 19:48:00 CEST 2004

linear remapping is not so hard if you can define your remapping
mathematically.  i'm a bit of a fan of this function (which i'll write
as an expr for handy use).

[expr~ 2/(1+pow($f2,-$f1))-1]

your input goes in the left, the signal on the right is a control
(sensible values >1).

in theory this maps input values between +/- infinity into +/- 1. but
because of the limited precision of floating point math, they eventually
just end up being exactly equal to +/- 1 at some range. for a control of
2 this is about +/- 80. for 1.01 this is about +/- 1500.

this function is normally called the sigmoid function and is used in
neural networks.. the control is normally 'e', which probably gives the
resulting curve a perfect quality that my primitive mathematical
understanding can not appreciate.

also, foldover distortion is the effect you get when frequencies higher
than 0.5*samplerate (nyquist frequency) are produced. so-called because
they are 'folded' back in frequency space, so a frequency at
nyquist+100hz creates a kind of ghost frequency lurking around
nyquist-100hz.

the kind of distortion you are referring to is the kind of god-awful
clipping that old soundblaster cards (and surely other hardware) did.
where values where wrapped around the +/- boundaries instead of
clipping. you can recreate it (why!?) using wrap~ (after some massaging
of the signal) like this,

[+~ 1]

[/~ 2] //get the unclipped signal into [0,1]

[wrap~]

[*~ 2]

[-~ 1] //shift it back to [-1,1]

(you could do the massaging using scale, but i'm never sure what library it's in)

... if anyone knows of a good description of all of the different
distortions that come into play when an FM or AM radio signal is poorly
recieved, please fill me in.

pix.