[PD] setable values

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Wed Jul 21 10:50:46 CEST 2004

hi frank, hi list

> Either way I'd like to keep all current versions at least be able to
> understand each other, to speak the same language. If you want to
> extend the language by defining new words, that's fine. That's what
> functions or typedefs in programming languages do, and that's what
> externals do in Pd.
i definitely see your point, but imo the _language_ pd has a few weak
points... like change only working for floats, right inlet of "symbol",
or the dynamic setting of values...
imo, externals should not be written, if they just add one feature to a
core object ...

since you are objecting, i _will_ write an external for that ... but
there should be a discussion about extending the language ... a
discussion between users, developers and miller...

> But please don't change the language just because you need a missing
> feature, which wasn't missed by anyone else as long as I can remember
> reading this list.
and that i missed several times... ;-)

cheers... tim

--