[PD] external loading suggestion

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Jul 21 12:09:04 CEST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Lex Ein hat gesagt: // Lex Ein wrote:
>
> > Fine, so I give up.  No namespaces.  Fine.  So everybody's mind is
> > made up. So much for that debate.
>
> Ah, come on, nobody said something *against* namespaces. In fact
> several posters here, including me, expicitly welcomed them.
>
> It was just pointed out that they won't solve all our current name
> clash problems, and they might not work well for clashes with
> abstractions.

Hi,

Well, actually the other way round. Namespaces are already
implemented, they work perfectly for abstractions but not so well
for externals.

<repeat>
Use "/" as a namespace delimiter and sort your abstractions/externals into
subdirectories in order to assign them their namespace.
</repeat>

The solution of Lex doesn't work because of the same reason externals
won't fully work.
Adding an alias is not enough, you have to change the  name of
every method that could be in conflict with other methods of different
externals. Otherwise you will have some surprises while using two
objects with the same name. (and this could be very tricky to debug)

Guenter