[PD] external loading suggestion

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Jul 22 12:15:10 CEST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Martin Peach hat gesagt: // Martin Peach wrote:
>
> > Declaring a function static gives it file scope, so it is only known to
> > functions in the same file. That might solve the 'shadowed declarations'
> > error that occurs because two entities named 'exp' are found in the source.
>
> Might indeed help, too, although renaming was easier. The static thing
> won't help with the clashes of *_setup functions, though, as these
> need to be visible to the Pd main app, so I think, they must not be
> "static". Am I right?

Arghh, right, I have to stand corrected. If the externals implement
the functions as static this problem is solved indeed.

Seems that the problem with the externals I tested was that these
functions were not static.

The setup functions is not a problem, because pd assures that the right
setup function is called by fetching it directly from the external.

This actually means that we have a namespace system implemented, we just
have to use it.

We have to adjust the loading of libraries though, because there it
doesn't work this way. .. well.

Guenter