[PD] setable values

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 22 23:30:42 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> i changed the code of the value object ...
> i could:
> - add it to devel_0_37

I don't like that.

> - add it to devel_0_37, but enable it only with the configure script and
>   post a warning when creating an object (i'd prefer that)

I could live with that. If this is the outcome, then the configure
option should be unified for all future non-standard language
features, and should be disabled per default, so that it doesn't
unintentionally find its way into any distribution packages.

> - add it as external to the cvs...

I'd prefer that, it's the well tested and IMO best way of extending
the language.

Cyclone is a great example of this approach: Cyclone is designed to
get easily incorporated into the core Pd language, and still stays
externals, so people can try it out, without creating a language
branch. expr~ et al. is another example.

(Basically I already said all this, I'm just recapitulating it.)

Ciao