[PD] Gem compile problems

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Jul 25 15:38:39 CEST 2004

Hi

If you are on Debian, you should always try the Debian package first,
this should keep you out of all the compilation trouble.
If you are not happy with the precompiled version (it doesn't have
avi support, because libavifile is not cross platform) let me
know. I will do my best to make good packages. As long as noboy complains
I assume the packages are working perfectly.

If you want to compile gem by hand, Debian offers you some help for
finding the correct libraries.

# apt-get build-dep gem

will install all the libraries you need to compile gem.
(you have to install libavifile-dev by hand, though)

# apt-get install libavifile-dev

Then compile gem either the standard way, or automatically
with

# apt-get source --build gem

Guenter