[PD] Gem compile problems

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Mon Jul 26 01:51:00 CEST 2004

guenter geiger wrote:

>Hi
>
>If you are on Debian, you should always try the Debian package first,
>this should keep you out of all the compilation trouble.
>If you are not happy with the precompiled version (it doesn't have
>avi support, because libavifile is not cross platform) let me
>know. I will do my best to make good packages. As long as noboy complains
>I assume the packages are working perfectly.
>
>If you want to compile gem by hand, Debian offers you some help for
>finding the correct libraries.
>
># apt-get build-dep gem

I'm compiling by hand (despite the headache) for features and control. I
used to have the debian packages installed and found it difficult to
install new externals that are only available in source. Having
everything compiled by hand makes updates easier in the long run for me.
I generally only use apt-get for every day packages, ones that I really
count on and use a lot (like PD) I do by hand. I've never used apt-get's
source management though, I've only used it to install binaries.

apt-get build-dep gem tried to install the puredata package, while I'm
trying to install this all with a hand compiled devel_0_37 cvs pure data.

I suppose I may be doing things backwards, but it works now, so oh well.

Another thing is that I'm running Sarge, not SID, so my addiction to
features wouldn't be fed unless I used CVS versions for my favorite
programs.

And one last thing is that I'm gearing up to start writing some C stuff
to work with PD, so I'm going to want all the latest sources.

Cheers,
Ian