[PD] Geiger namespaces and possible html doc bug

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 26 16:11:39 CEST 2004

Hi,

I read this in the html-docs:

  3.7. dealing with files

  [...]

  If a filename specified in a patch has any "/" characters in it, the
  "path" is not used; thus, "../sounds/sample1.wav" causes Pd only to
  look relative to the directory containing the patch. (You may also
  invoke externs that way.)

I think, the docs are wrong here. When playing around with the Geiger
namespace, that is, using subdirectories in the Pd-path to prepend
namespace-like prefixes, I found, that Pd does not only look for
abstractions and externs only in the patch directory, if those contain
a slash.

Example:

mkdir /tmp/foo
echo "#N canvas 0 0 450 300 10;
#X text 160 100 bar inside foo;" > /tmp/foo/bar.pd
pd -path /tmp/

Now you can create an object [foo/bar] and it will instantiate
/tmp/foo/bar.pd

Am I misunderstanding the docs i.e. is this use case not a "filename
specified in a patch" or is this indeed a doc bug?

Ciao