[PD] Re: Buffer Type Question

Stefan Turner stefan_turner at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 18:59:36 CEST 2004

And what if you misunderstood? :) I apologise for not
explaining it very well first time.

In an unfrozen delay line (always, currently) the most
recent point (delay=0) is always 'now'. If you could
'freeze' that delay line at a certain point in time,
call it t, then from then on the delay line will
_always_ have that point t as the most recent
(delay=0). Data between t and 'now' would not be
stored in the line. The data stored in the line would
not be changed until 'unfrozen', when it would go back
to normal operation. You are talking about freezing
the reading, and as you say this is quite easy. I am
talking about freezing the _writing_.

As for why you would want to do this, one example I
would like to use it for is granular sampling. At the
moment you need to kludge it with a buffer: freezable
delay lines would be much nicer, I think.

Sorry for the long reply, I hope this makes more
sense.

Stefan

Message: 9