[PD] streamin~ for windows (bug)

Anthony Lee awll at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Jul 29 00:24:51 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm using streamin~ and I can't avoid using it on a windows box (it's
the one that has a 24 in / 24 out soundcard). I was having trouble using
streamin~ on it because sys_addpollfn was (I assume) sucking up all the
cpu after a disconnection on the client side. Does anyone know if
Guenter is still working on this external?

I hacked the external to get it to sleep for a millisecond before
returning when there's no data coming through the socket but I don't
think that's the best solution (it does appear to solve the problem
though) and I would really like to know if anyone has found any other
streaming externals - streamin13~ and streamout13~ don't seem to work at
all. If there are any with multiple channel support that would be really
great.

I'm really surprised that there aren't many other uncompressed audio
streaming externals. The mp3-streaming externals simply won't do because
of latency.

Anthony

PS - I'm not sure how the threading works in pd, but for some reason I'm
under the impression that I might be putting the entire pd app. to sleep
with my hack - if that's not the case then I'm not too but if it is I
think I'll need to find a better solution.