[PD] pydyn

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Fri Aug 13 21:14:31 CEST 2004

Hi Tom,

>> I'm working on an even tighter integration where PD objects can be
>> directly
>> managed by object-oriented C or Python code, without the detour of
>> message
>> generation. This can then be used for dynamic patching or just another
>> patcher system.
>>

> very interesting.
>
> can you elaborate on this a bit more?

the project is still in the concept stage, but it will be a topic for
the PD convention in Graz.
In short words, it will be a shared library with a C-style API that
acts as an interface to the PD system. It's built on top of the
traditional API and i don't think that changes to PD are needed. It
will manage construction, destruction, connection of objects and
storage of associated additional data.
Just as with dyn~ the objects will live in a sandbox, they will not
appear in the tcl/tk patcher system.

> i'm trying to do something similar with mole and pf, but i'm stuck at
> the
> point where i need to catch the objects's output and map it to a
> function
> return value..

In dyn~ this is done with "proxy" objects that are connected to the
objects of interest.

best greetings,
Thomas