[PD] Data structures, symbol fields and drawsymbol

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 25 01:54:25 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> Yes, they're there but I've never used them and so they never got
> properly debugged.

I have the expression, that data structures are a bit underused by the
Pd community in general. Somehow they seem to be less "sexy" compared
to Gem or PDP. I guess the only one I know who uses (or has used) them
a lot is Orm Finnendahl...

Maybe my upcoming "Structures for Dummies" tutorial can generate more
feedback. At least I hope it does. But I'll keep it secret until after
the pd~conv.

> You can also put lists inside structs too (so you can have a list of
> arrays of lists, etc) but this has also never been debugged and
> crashes Pd when you try it.

I did not yet arrive at lists...

Anyway I have found some other fun ways to crash Pd by using structs.
Maybe my favourite one so far is to forget to give a struct a name.
Creating a [struct float x float y] will happily let Pd reach Nirvana
in no time.

Ciao