[PD] gem newbie questions

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 2 10:24:43 CEST 2004

adam overton wrote:
> hello there

> 1. is the pd-list the best place to ask basic gem questions, or should
> they be sent to gem-dev?
it is perfect.
gem-dev is rather for development-issues and in-depth-questions.

> 2. is there a way to make the Gem output window come to the front and
> sit on top of the other open pd windows? i can't move the window, and i
> know that's because you can only control that with the 'position'
> command to gemwin (will that ever change?? it'd be nice to be able to
> drag it around...). but if i'm doing a fullscreen thing with gem, then

i think this is a problem with how pd works together with osX-gui (they
don't go together very well).
there have been attemtps (e.g. by jamie) to come around this limitation,
and as i understand it, these will be included in future versions of pd.

> 3. all of the tutorials have all of their toggle switches set to the OFF
> order to get the screen to go to its clear default OFF state. is there a
> way to have all of the gemhead's *really* start in the OFF state? i
well, [gemhead]s are by default ON. there is no way to turn them off by
default.
[toggle]s are by default OFF. however, they can be set to "init", which
propagates their state on startup: this is similar to "loadbang"; what
it means is, that the state displayed in the [toggle] matches the state
of the [gemhead].
(in short: edit the properties of each toggle and set it to "init")

> 4. i get lots and lots of errors when i use pix_image and pix_film with
> changed, or is there already an easy way around this besides actually
> going and changing all of my images to the same size?
there used to be [pix_resize] object, but a) i don't know if it is
really working (i guess it is not), and b) it will only enlarge images
to the next power-of-2 (this is not exactly what you want)

and no, i don't plan to change the restriction that images need to be
equal sized for mixing
but yes, [pix_resize] will probably be fixed.

mfg.ads.r
IOhannes