[PD] building a looper

Eric Skogen eskogen at usfamily.net
Fri Sep 3 15:05:24 CEST 2004

alex matheson wrote:

> I am trying to build a looper to function similarly to acid or ableton
> live. what would be the best object to use in this case? I was
> thinking a tabread4~ but i still do not know how to stretch/compress
> the file to correspond to the metronome.  Can someone point me towards
> some patches similar to what i described so that i can see how its
> done It would be appriciated.  :-))
>
> ealx.

you could try gyre for ideas:
http://www.audionerd.com/projects/pd/gyre/

a more recent version is in CVS.

it uses tabreadmix~ from the creb library to stretch the sample, but you
could also use some variation on the B14.sampler.rockafella.pd example
patch. even a phase vocoder of some type (although I prefer the dirty
timestretch sound).

I think acid and live use some combination of techniques to stretch the
material cleanly without making it sound "chunky" and still preserving
the transients in the audio. that's a little beyond my grasp at this
point, anyone have tips?