[PD] from pd to notation?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Sep 3 22:39:19 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Oded Ben-Tal hat gesagt: // Oded Ben-Tal wrote:

> Is it possible to write a midifile from pd (and how)?
>
> I want it so I'll be able to get output of notelists into notation. Anyone
> has suggestions how to convert (midi-num, duration) list into notation?

I don't know if the seq/xeq externals can record midi, but I suppose
you're running PlanetCCRMA i.e. Linux?

It is possible and quite easy to record the output of Pd into a
sequencer like MusE then. The Midi-HOWTO has a slightly old but still
mostly valid introduction written by me on this topic. Basically you
just need to load snd-virmidi to create a raw midi "door" into the
ALSA sequencer system, that then can be used by Pd (which doesn't know
about the ALSA sequencer). Then using aconnect or modern tools like
qjackctl, you can connect Pd's output port to the MusE input port ...
and press "Record". ;)

Ciao