[PD] PD 0.38 test 4 released: Tcl 8.4.7

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Sep 4 21:10:47 CEST 2004

On Sep 4, 2004, at 2:21 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Hi Hans Chrostof & James.
>
> I can't seem to get Pd running with the newest tcl/tk yet.  There's
> something mysterious happening.  But after I downgraded from 8.4.7 to
> 8.4.4, then I discovered that actually there's a particular copy of
> pd/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell, which is different from the one compiled
> in "TclTkAquaStandalone", which is the only one that works.  The others
> all fail and write something mysterious to standard error at the
> first call to "Tcl_Eval" in t_tkcmd.c.  If you want to see it
> yourselves,
> I think you can just enable DEBUGCONNECT in t_Tkcmd.c and try plugging
> the files from 8.4.7 standalone into the Pd  "app"...
>
> I _think_ the magic copy of "Wish Shell" came from one of the old
> "package"
> distributions of Tcl/Tk....

Gerard Roma's version of Pd.app is built upon the TclTk 8.4.7
Standalone Wish Shell.app.  I think he's on vacation, but maybe he can
shed some light on this topic.  I know that its based on the devel_0_37
version of Pd and the files to build it are in CVS in
packages/darwin_app.

http://puredata.org/Members/gerard/pd-0.37.4.dmg

> The idea of implementing a whole new file browser as a hierarchical
> menu
> is interesting, but there's nothing specific to Pd in the idea... it
> migth be a better plan to have the thing figure itself on-the-fly and
> propose
> it as a generally useful way to browse within a specific directory
> tree.

I took a first stab at it.  It figures the menu entries out when Pd
starts.

http://puredata.org/Members/hans/downloads/installers/Pd-0.38
-0test4HCS1.dmg

The diff is included.  A procedure called doc_submenu does the
cascading Help menu.  It should be recursive, but its not yet.

.hc