[PD] Oggcast~ buffer size

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sun Sep 5 00:35:10 CEST 2004

Jorge Cardoso wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have been playing around with [oggcast~ ]plus Icecast2 and a
> question has arised:
> What is the effect of changing the buffer size in [oggcast~]?
>
> It would seem to me that using a bigger buffer would mean having a
> higher delay in the stream
> from to Icecast, but it seems to work the other way round! When I
> lower the
> buffer size in [oggcast~] I get higher delays in the sound stream...
>
> Can anyone explain how this works?

The audio gets copied into the buffer and a second thread encodes and
sends it. Since encoding and sending might take some time to complete
the buffer needs a minimum size that depends on the speed of your
machine (encoding) and the speed of the network connection (sending).
Using larger buffer on a fast machine with high-speed connection should
not change anything (apart from memory usage, of course).

Olaf