[PD] 64 bit PD

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Tue Sep 7 02:38:15 CEST 2004

> Is there any advantage to using pure data on a 64 bit machine (if it
> works)?
> Or does the 64bit just mean more precise calculations?

64 bit simply means that programs are able to address larger blocks of
memory. It may also mean more precise numbering if by default ints are
32 or 64 bits instead of 16, but I think thats a compiler thing, not a
hardware thing.
char=8bits
int=16bits
float=32
double=64 (I think)

There might in the future be something like write combining where two
sets of 32 bit values are combined, as it takes just one cpu cycle to
move 64 bits as opposed to two cycles for normal x86 machines. Thats
what Im hopeing for. Id really like to be able to do some serious
synthsis while doing hardcore realtime video processing using Gem.

I can do one or the other with my old laptop... Just not both. Too
many dropouts.

-thewade