[PD] Gem crash in Trigger Gang Bang patch

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Sep 7 19:10:37 CEST 2004

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >I really wonder, why font renderin is so slow. Is it, that Gem has to
> >generate a whole lot of polygons for this?
>
> actually FTGL uses display-lists for each glyph. (which should be quite
> fast unless a) it is done in software ;-) and/or b) the glyph-parsing of
> the text-string is slow...)
> i don't know right know, how it is done with GLTT.
>
> with which font-renderer is your version of Gem compiled with ? (it
> should give you a message when the first text-related object is created)

GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.90
GEM: compiled: Sep  7 2004
GEM: maintained by IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: Authors :  Mark Danks (original version on irix/windows)
GEM:            Chris Clepper (macOS-X)
GEM:            Daniel Heckenberg (windows)
GEM:            James Tittle (macOS-X)
GEM:            IOhannes m zmoelnig (linux/windows)
Gem has been compiled with FTGL !
GEM: loaded images: /home/freak/big/audio/pd/dev/compo/demo/m/pin .jpg from 0 to 1 skipping 1
GEM: Only using 8 color bits
Direct Rendering enabled!
GEM: Start rendering

So it is using FTGL, but maybe FTGL on Debian isn't using Direct
Rendering? I'll have to check this ...

Ciao