[PD] [GEM]: multiple gemwin

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Sep 8 20:37:40 CEST 2004

On Sep 8, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Ivan Franco wrote:

> Sorry for the following comment but I'm a bit bothered about how
> people react when we talk about Max or Nato or Jitter or whatever
> software similar to PD/GEM/etc...
> I'm really supportive about opensource and I think it's the way to go,
> but I must mention something that seems good/practical, in my point of
> view, in those softwares.
> Not comparing or asking for features. Just commenting, since we all
> want GEM to grow to be more....

That's a fair comment.  The comparisons are fine, and I have made them
before myself.
However, I find it valuable to try to give some idea of what is going
on in the development end, and give some idea of what we are attempting
to do.

One of the basis for my previous comments is that I have found that
most of the video systems around are for the most part exactly the same
(along with their audio counterparts), and I do not see the need to
make GEM into another one of those.  It has some features that do set
it apart, like being one of the few (only?) pure 3D systems, which need
to be explored further.

Your request for multiple windows is a good one, and it will happen,
but it is part of a larger project that goes beyond having some preview
windows.  At this point, the GEM developers are starting to not discuss
development on the level of individual features and enhancements, but
rather at the level of systems design and implementation.  This seems
to be very different from how most software is worked on, and I'm
hoping it leads to a lot of new tools and solves some problems.  There
really is a vast area of ideas relating to video and graphics that
haven't even been touched on by anyone working on this type of
software.  Right now, I want to explore these avenues rather than just
coding up some more video plugins and adding more variants of existing
features, which is unfortunately seems to be the most common path for
software developers to take.

cgc