[PD] GUI question

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Sep 14 16:55:27 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Anton Woldhek hat gesagt: // Anton Woldhek wrote:

> I was wondering why PD has a vertical data flow. Just looking at the
> resolution of my screen: 1024 by 768. I got more space horizontally.
>
> Obviously the horizontal screen came from Max. Just curious if there
> are good reasons to choose a horitonal way of structuring.

Pd/Max objects are basically words, which are generally much wider
horizontally than they are high vertically. Even with the usual 4/3
ratio of modern screens you will never fit as many objects
horizontally as you can vertically, so the current layout is a better
use of the available screen space.

(I don't know if this is intended, I just made this up myself. ;)

I must say, especially with graph on parent patches I more often run
out of horizontal then out of vertical space.

Also words stretch vertically. If you replace an object with another
one bearing a longer name, then your layout will risk getting out of
proportions.

Ciao