[PD] ggee compile errors

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Sep 15 11:14:04 CEST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> navz at dreaming.org hat gesagt: // navz at dreaming.org wrote:
>
> > i'm going to take the shell.pd_linux (and the other goodies from the extra in
> > pd-externals/puredata apt-get) and drop them into a custom install.  rude and
> > crude and but it should work.
>
> Yes, it should.

Or, if you like bleeding edge stuff, just check out the CVS externals and
go to the build/linux directory, type make.

This will compile most of the externals, which you can pick by hand then.

> > i'll mv the appropriate docs too.  hopefully
> > thats it.  it turns out i used /usr/local/lib for my installs and apt uses
> > usr/lib/ for its pd so trampling should be avoided.
>
> You might need to add /usr/lib/pd/extra etc. to your Pd path as well.
>
> > if it doesn't work i'll just wait till next week when i get a new machine to
> > work on and use gentoo where compiling is still fashionable ;)
>
> Debian not only has the best Pd packages, it has Gentoo built-in:
>
> alias ebuild="apt-get build-dep PACKAGE && apt-get --build source PACKAGE "
>
> > quite a beautiful experience.  too bad it didnt work though.  (i'll submit the
> > report through bugreport if i can't figure out why)  seems deb pd doesnt want
> > to open any windows; gives me watchdogs on root w/-rt flag; and when launched
> > says "Pd: system call timed out".  actually its totally dysfunctional right
> > now.  but i'll try again later, maybe reboot or some trick might do it.

Looks rather like a problem with your system setup. Especially if your
self compiled pd works, the debian package should work too, its the same
code.

If it really behaves differently, I would be very interested to find out
why.

Guenter