[PD] /dev/dsp newbie problemo

Kyle Klipowicz t3553r4ct at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 17:16:30 CEST 2004

Roc~

I'm assuming that you're running jack on your system.  This happens occasionally with me, and I usually just run top to find out the process ID for jackd, and then use the kill command to stop it, and then restart it with something like

jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100

or what have you.  Hope this helps, I'm not Linux guru!

~Kyle

roc <principio at ilimit.es> wrote:
yo
by the way, forgot to mention, i'm trying this on a ibook g3 running
debian...

> after a while pding on OSX i'm trying to switch to linux.
> compilation was ok, but when i start pd i get:
>
> /dev/dsp (writeonly): Device or resource busy
> /dev/dsp (readonly): No such device or address
> error: failed to open MIDI ports; continuing without MIDI.
> audio I/O stuck... closing audio and MIDI
>
> i don't care about the MIDI part, cos i won't be using any, but i
> obviously want some audio ;~)
> i assume it might be something very easy to solve, but i'm still a
> newbie here and i get lost with dev permissions etc.
> hints?

Read my thoughts.

http://perhapsidid.blogspot.com

"The bigger things get the smaller and duller or flatter the globe gets.  It is getting to be all one blasted little provincial suburb. When they have introduced American sanitation, morale-pep, feminism, and mass production throughout the Near East, Middle East, Far East, USSR, the Pampas, el Gran Chaco, the Danubian Basin, Equatorial Africa, Hither Further and Inner Mumbo-land, Gondhwanaland, Lhasa, and the villages of darkest Berkshire, how happy we shall be."

~J.R.R. Tolkien