[PD] /dev/dsp newbie problemo

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Sep 16 17:36:35 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Kyle Klipowicz hat gesagt: // Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> I'm assuming that you're running jack on your system.  This happens
> occasionally with me, and I usually just run top to find out the
> process ID for jackd, and then use the kill command to stop it,

It might also be some other process that's blocking the sound device,
like artsd or esound. You might find out if that's the case with
"fuser /dev/dsp" and check with "ps THE_NUMBER_FUSER_GAVE" what
process this is.

In any case, you should first test if sound works at all using "aplay"
and "arecord", then work up from this (assuming you use ALSA, which
you should do).

Ciao