[PD] Re: [PD-announce] vst~ beta download

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Sat Sep 18 01:08:52 CEST 2004

ix wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:47:52PM -0700, Josh Steiner wrote:
>

>>the only other hosts i use dont give you this nice raw output, so i dont
>>know.  but this is a general issues with vst's i think, for instance, in
>>flstudio when i open up a song it has remembered all the positions of
>>all the sliders/nobs of all vst's im using, plus samples loaded and
>>such.  is there some split in vst between state and performance data?
>>

>afaik, all vst params are floats (or midi-notes & CC). the .fxp/.fxb preset-file format allows for storage of arbitrary 'chunk's of binary data that can be whatever the plugin designer wants -  but i dont think you can do anything with this from any host other than saving/loading.  ultimately the VST standard needs to be scrapped, or at least given OSC support on equal footing as MIDI, and make the file format less of a joke..

ok, so the vst .dll's take care of handling some state data by storing
it in a .fxp/.fxb, but how does the holst (vst~ in particular) handle
telling the .dll where to find these files?

>anyways if phatmatik is your main concern,

its not, its just my latest run in with this issue.

>why not make an infinitely better replacement for it?

aye, that is me plan :)  i have a pretty decent slicing sampler already
working pretty well, but i wanted to play around with phatmatick a bunch
to see what i thought of their methods.  my music partner jake spoke
glowingly of it.

> this patch will check for beat-timing metadata, if it exists load it, if not scan it..so you dont hve to wait for bonk~ to run each time..(but a non-realtime switch~ option in subpatches would definitely be cool..if anyone is up for a real challenge :)

wow!  so cool, thanks!