[PD] [OT] Thinkpad + Fireface

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat Sep 18 21:46:24 CEST 2004

> All my Thinkpads (third one now) have had Celeron processors. I
> noticed the other day that someone was advising people to avoid
> pentium 4's because they didn't run PD well. I have no experience with
> that but perhaps something to keep in mind.
pd used to have problems with denormals until version 0.36 ... since
0.37, denormal handling have been implemented ...
the devel_0_37 branch is using assembler coded simd instruction that are
not that critical concerning denormal numbers ...

on some p4 cpus it's even possible to switch on DAZ which causes the cpu
to handle denormals as zeros in simd instructions ...
i'm not sure how different operating systems handle this, but i
_suppose_ this explains problems i had when switching from suse to
gentoo and got stuck in denormal crashes ...

anyway, a machine that is not affected by the denormal problem is not as
important as it was about one year ago if you are on pd ...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk