[PD] Pd can't start in realtime mode with libraries

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Tue Sep 21 00:05:01 CEST 2004

> pd -jack -rt -lib xxx" never works (pd does not start and you get a
> watchdog
> message signaling Pd in the console)

This is the anwser I got on the archive :

"Pd effectively tries to make its main thread the "real-time" one.  If
you stick hard-core computations in the main thread, as GEM does, this
can have a bad effect on your machine.  THis is why "-rt" and GEM
disagree with each other on OSX - and I suppose on linux as well although
I don't know that." (Miller Puckette)

Actually I was first wrong, as some libraries work on my computer with the "-rt"
flag : Iemlib, zexy, chaos, Gem (so this one seems to work on Linux in realtime
mode).
Some others don't work, like fftease and vasp (wtachdog).

Sorry for the confusion

-j