[PD] gui and abstraction

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 22 11:10:20 CEST 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > >I do this in the following way:
> > what i have found most convenient is:
> I hope Miller's idea of a "graph-on-parent" [cnv] object is not
> forgotten. It would make it all much easier: <dream> Just create a
> [gopcnv], resize it, put all objects you want to see on top of it,
> save, done. </dream>

My dream, albeit more short-term, was along the lines of:

1. for each patcher, there would be a resizable rectangle so that the size
of the window need not coincide with the recorded size of the patcher.

2. maybe have a toggle to disable rescaling of the coordinates of a GOP
(which would make things somewhat more WYSIWYG), and instead enable
cropping, such that only the objects in top-left corner of a
subpatch/abstr would show up in the GOP (this allows to put gui-objects
in the subpatch that won't be affected by the GOP).

And then a (possibly) more long-term one is:

3. make all GUI objects displayable on several surfaces at once, such that
you can see the GOP while its patcher is open. This is *almost* possible
in IMPD. There is a Model/View separation though I didn't really finish
taking care of Observer/Observable roles yet.