[PD] [OT] Thinkpad + Fireface [denormal debate again...]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Sep 22 12:18:33 CEST 2004

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>hmmmmm.... my last year of using PD on a P4 had been *nothing* but
>>denormal problems! I can pretty much guarentee that any complex patch
>>I make will crash on my 1.6 Ghz laptop and run flawlessly on my 1.8Ghz
>>AMD shuttle.
>
> which version of pd?

Pd version 0.37.1 devel
compiled 17:14:44 Sep 19 2004

> have you compiled pd / externals / ladspa-plugins
> with -mfpmath=sse?

...afraid yes...

OPT_CFLAGS = -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer

[I don't think -mmmx does anything of value here, but I just transferred
over my Gentoo CFLAGS for consistancy ;-) ]

I'll have to look into these DAZ and FTZ switches, as were discussed on
the LAD list. But it's really a pity that it's so difficult to get good
performance out of a P4. This is why I can only *un*recommend them to
anybody wanted to do audio.

Off to Ebay I go for a new laptop. When will PD have a 64bit version so
I can check out one of these new AMDs? ;-)

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 68: