[PD] writesf~ bug - crashes Pd when output file size hits 2GB

ClaudiusMaximus gloriousclaudiusmaximus at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 19:12:27 CEST 2004

As the subject says, last night I was recording to 2 channel 32bit float
and after a couple of hours Pd crashed suddenly, completely
unresponsive, had to kill it in the system monitor.  Checking today, the
recorded file was 2147483647 bytes (= 2^31 - 1 bytes),  The file system
of the drive is ext3, I'm using GNU/Linux Red Hat 9 PlanetCCRMA.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0403.3/1667.html

...says that the max file size on ext3 is much bigger than 2GB, but that:

""
Your application must use LFS extensions, e.g.
open("filename", O_LARGEFILE, ..)
""

I'm also guessing that there is a file size limit in the WAV format
itself, probably around the 2GB or 4GB mark too.

But at any rate, reaching any of these limits shouldn't crash Pd!