[PD] Compile error for gem

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Thu Sep 23 20:36:57 CEST 2004

> > Should I add -fPIC somewhere in the makefile? or in LIBS variable for
> > make?
>
> -fPIC should be specified at compile time, not at link time (i think)
> isn\'t the \"-fPIC\" flag specified in the Makefile (the \"sub-makefiles\",
> not the master-makefile in src/Gnu, which does only the linking)

I think your right. The sub-make files have -fPIC included for compilation.
Im getting the same thing with zexy:
[pdman at musicbox src]$ ld -export_dynamic  -shared -o zexy.pd_linux *.o -lc -lm
ld: z_average.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
z_average.o: could not read symbols: Bad value

...and there all files ARE compiled with -fPIC as well. Is this a compiler
problem? If so, why have I not encountered it when building other packages?

Thanks again for the help!
-thewade