[PD] Marionette Control

Samuel B Burt brialey at juno.com
Sat Sep 25 15:33:18 CEST 2004

Hi group!

I am sure some of you have experimented with using PD to control motors.
My friend Joel Grip is planning to build a giant marionette puppet in his
wood working class at the Maryland Institute of Contemporary Art that we
will use in our multi-media improvisations.  The goal would be to perform
live with acoustic instruments and/or computer generated/manipulated
sound and have the marionette move in reaction to our playing.  What I
would like to know is where to find information on what types of motors
to buy and how to interact them with PD.

I checked out makingthings.com because I had heard about their Max-motor
interaction products.  They sent me the following response to my inquiry:

        Hi Samuel.  While we have intermittently run into interest
        in having Teleo interact with PD, this interest has not,
        unfortunately, been enough to warrant the time and effort
        it would take us to develop it.  So, as of now the answer is
        sadly no.  This is not set in stone, however, and it is possible
        that at some point in the future, we'll move ahead with
development
        for PD, either based on a general growing interest or in response
to a
        particular job that we're doing.  But for the moment, it's not
very
        high on our list of priorities.

Also, I am told that their products are really designed to move smaller
objects.  Our life-size wooden marionette would probably be too heavy and
wear the parts out too quickly.  If anyone has any suggestions, they
would be very appreciated.

Samuel Burt