[PD] calling all GUI-gurus!

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Sep 30 10:52:53 CEST 2004

Hey gang,

I 've had a few thoughts about some GUI-enhancements that might make
life better for me, and hopefully for others. I'd be willing to work
with someone who is better versed in TCL/TK than me to get them done, if
any of you think they are worthwhile or do-able.

1. Make Yves' Grid Graph-on-Parent compatible

I mentioned this in another mail, but Yves made Grid with an absolute
coordinate system, which makes it non-compliant with the GoP system.
Other suggested using Ben Bogart's XY controller, which I checked out,
but I would like something which works with one click, sending
immediately the coordinates of that click. For BB's controller, first
one must "grab" the controller, then drag it, which is not the behaviour
I am looking for. Where could I look to make this change from absolute
to relative coordinates?

2. Transparency

I would like to use something like Grid to quickly draw a set of
variables, i.e. draw a 32-bank filter response curve or a 128-bin FFT
curve. Using the native table objects in PD is not only clumsy, but they
can actually hold up DSP. I would also like to see the results of this
drawing on sliders in the "same object" on the screen, the way [for
example] Freqtweak or Spectral Delay work. So, how could I make a
transparent Grid, or even a transparent Ben Bogart XY controller, with a
row of Vsliders or Hsliders visible underneith? Is it possible? With
GoP? With some TCL/TK magic?

3. Drop-menu

Yes, Yves' Playlist is a very nice tool. If you are browsing for files.
[And even then, filenames which are very long, or directories which are
very full, tend to make it unreadable unless you make the Playlist
sooooo huge!]. But I would like a simple one-click drop-menu, for things
like Memento presets or samplenames which have been loaded to arrays.
Would Toxy be a good place to investigate this? Is it possible at all?

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

d. [who wishes very much to be in Graz, but who did his festival booking
too early this year, and is in Riga instead :-( ]

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 22: