[PD] Marionette Control

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Mon Oct 4 12:26:16 CEST 2004

Hello,

We build just an PIC Board controlling 24 channeles of motors with
pulsmodulated output, and a FET Board, to controll them.

But if you want it easy, just use the paralell out and there is a simple
realtime linuxdevice (rtai) controlling eight to twelve servos, which have a
puls-coded interface and then writing with pd to this device.

mfg winfried

Am Samstag, 25. September 2004 18:58 schrieb Ian Smith-Heisters:
> I'm probably only suggesting this because it's what I'm working on right
> now, so I'm sure there's got to be other ways of doing this.  You can
> get cheap motors of all kinds from American Science and Surplus
> (http://www.sciplus.com). Then you could do something with a PIC and an
> RF receiver/transmitter. PD could send OSC commands wirelessly to the
> robot/marionnette,  where the PIC would trigger current to the correct
> motor. It may not even need to be wireless, depending on what you mean
> by marionette. If you want it to have cables running to the ceiling,
> then you may as well skip wireless. If PIC is too thorny, you could also
> try a BASIC Stamp.
>
> Have you ever read Über das Marionettentheater by Heinrich von Kleist?
>
> -Ian
>
> Samuel B Burt wrote:
> > Hi group!
> >
> > I am sure some of you have experimented with using PD to control
> > motors.  My friend Joel Grip is planning to build a giant marionette
> > puppet in his wood working class at the Maryland Institute of
> > Contemporary Art that we will use in our multi-media improvisations.
> > The goal would be to perform live with acoustic instruments and/or
> > computer generated/manipulated sound and have the marionette move in
> > reaction to our playing.  What I would like to know is where to find
> > information on what types of motors to buy and how to interact them
> > with PD.
> >
> > I checked out makingthings.com because I had heard about their
> > Max-motor interaction products.  They sent me the following response
> > to my inquiry:
> >
> >         Hi Samuel.  While we have intermittently run into interest
> >         in having Teleo interact with PD, this interest has not,
> >         unfortunately, been enough to warrant the time and effort
> >         it would take us to develop it.  So, as of now the answer is
> >         sadly no.  This is not set in stone, however, and it is possible
> >         that at some point in the future, we'll move ahead with
> > development
> >         for PD, either based on a general growing interest or in
> > response to a
> >         particular job that we're doing.  But for the moment, it's not
> > very
> >         high on our list of priorities.
> >
> > Also, I am told that their products are really designed to move
> > smaller objects.  Our life-size wooden marionette would probably be
> > too heavy and wear the parts out too quickly.  If anyone has any
> > suggestions, they would be very appreciated.
> >
> > Samuel Burt

- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171
- PGP-ID 69617A69 (see keyserver http://wwwkeys.at.gpg.net/)