[PD] beginner's MIDI routing questions

Ryan Supak ryansupak at fbcad.org
Mon Oct 4 20:45:34 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to use PD as a MIDI routing tool -- I was using MIDIOX but I want to go a little more in-depth.  Right now I'm still trying to learn the basics.

I'm currently playing with the ~notein and ~ctlin objects, and apparently the ~notein is aware of note number, velocity, and midi input number -- and the ~ctlin is aware of ctrl number, ctrl value, and midi input number.

1) what's the best way to determine the midi channel of incoming data (and ultimately to output the data stream as a certain midi channel)?

2) I used pd -midiindev x,y to tell pd which midi inputs I wanted.  MIDI input 1 is showing up as "1", according to ~notein and ~ctlin, but MIDI input 2 is showing up as "17" or "20" (depending on the parameter used).

3) Is it possible to send Program Change messages with PD?

Any input would be appreciated on either count!!
rs