[PD] GEM: speed of pix_film (fps) manipulation

James Tittle II tigital at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 22:07:54 CEST 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 9:36 PM, oliver wrote:

> i noticed that the [auto 1(   message to a pix_Movie object plays the
> movie much smoother than the  "number into right inlet" method. what's
> the reason for this ?  is there something that can be done about it ?

...if you are playing a movie via the right inlet method, you
definitely want to set a higher frame rate in [gemwin]...otherwise, by
default you'll be poking along at 20fps, which might not be as smooth
as ya want...

>> ...also, you can just sent a [auto $1< message to the left inlet:
>> this then tells the object to play a new frame for everytime it goes
>> thru the render loop...and of course, this render loop speed is set
>> by sending the [frame $1< message to the [gemwin]:  don't make it
>> faster than your computer can handle!
>
> does this mean, i have to send [gemwin] a  "frame 25" message to
> reproduce the film correctly ? (gemwin's default setting is 20, as far
> as i can remember)

...if you're playing with auto on, the higher frame message you set,
the faster the movie plays...these two different ways are in there for
flexibility:  I usually use the counter method with a frame message of
60, and it's smooth as silk :-)

l8r,
james