[PD] comport question

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 5 14:40:38 CEST 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, jim ruxton wrote:

> I tried comport under windows and get much better performance. For
> example in windows I can string a number of values together in a
> message and send it to comport.  ie val1, val2, val3 . In Linux when I
> do this I get "Write error, maybe TX-OVERRUNS on serial line" I also
> tried the Linux comport object with another usb to serial adapter
> (prolific 2303)  and get the same results? Any thoughts on this?

If you use a 115_200 bauds serial line then you should make sure that you
are not sending more than 15 kbytes each second. A USB connection works at
10_000_000 bauds, which causes either overruns or CTS/RTS flowcontrol
depending on whether the converter supports the latter and whether it´s
enabled. I don´t know anything at all about those converters, i´m guessing
using my knowledge of RS232.