[PD] Layered loops: Delays or Arrays?

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Wed Oct 6 06:08:33 CEST 2004

Hi list,

I'm trying to build a gizmo that will take adc~, throw it into a buffer
of some sort and loop it. Then you could create another and they would
be layered over eachother. I think this is a thing that performance
musicians often buy as hardware.

The way I initially went about it is using a delay loop. You hit a
button, and it routes sound from adc~ into a delwrite~, then after a
defined amount of time it switches the input from the delwrite~ over to
a delread~ so that the delay starts looping.

I was just wondering if it would be better to implement this using
arrays--which has more overhead? Are there other factors?

And while I'm at it, is there any neato trick to getting rid of the
click at the seam of the loop besides turning the amplitude down with a
line?

Thanks,
Ian