[PD] rt flag as user problem problem

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 6 16:40:06 CEST 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 rat at telecoma.net wrote:

> i want to run pd with rt flag as a user. so i searched the archive on
> how to do this. besides that there were several solutions regarding
> chmod - non if these are working for me.?!%
> at the moment its set to chmod 4755:
> -rwsr-xr-x  1 spinne spinne 1839956 Oct  4 13:18 pd
> but i get a: realtime setting failed because not root
> if it works with -rt, should i get some
> output on the terminal regarding rt
> capapilities ?

the u+s flag (4000) doesn't necessarily run something as root. Maybe
"man 1 chmod" isn't too clear about it (depending on which OS you
use...). It sets the owner of the process to be the owner of the file,
which here is "spinne".

Matsjö Buschahr @ Medien.kunstLabor.AT, Graz, Österreich
http://convention.puredata.info/           http://artengine.ca/matju