[PD] Ways to decrease processing delay?

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 6 18:56:33 CEST 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> ah, one last word:
> when trying to reduce the amount of calcs that need to be done, consider
>   not using [expr].
> [expr] has to parse the expression, which is costy.

Hi, the [expr] object does the parsing once, at object construction time,
so I would like to know why you say that.

Besides, I also thought that [inlet]/[outlet] have some overhead because
the message system is interpreted. Those objects also have a "dsp" handler
defined so it appears as if it is not being optimised-out. Are you sure
about this one?

I've had a quick look at pd/extra/expr~/ and pd/src/g_io.c; i don't know
whether that's enough...