[PD] Marionette Control

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 8 19:07:41 CEST 2004

Here's one picture, this guy is called YoYo Berimbau:

http://pics.at.or.at/index.php?RollID=2003.12.16-
robots_in_the_show&FrameID=PC160013

This is all for the group http://www.AmorphicRobotWorks.org/ there is
some more pictures on that site.  Most of the robots run using
pneumatics, controlled with electric air valves via relays.  The name
of the maker of these relays escapes me right now, and the computer
with that info is stashed away somewhere.  But any relay that takes a
very low control current, like 10mA, and can control 1 A or more will
work well.  The motors ran on 24VDC and were nothing special.

When that computer resurfaces, I will be putting up more info.

.hc

On Oct 8, 2004, at 12:15 AM, Burt wrote:

> Hans,
>
> More info would be awesome.  I really respect the work you have done
> for pd.  Do you have any online documentation of some of your projects
> like pictures or movies?  I would be excited to know what the motors
> looked like and did, and where you acquired them.
>
> Samuel Burt
>

> -- Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> I did this using using relays hooked directly to the parallel port.  I
> was controlling some pretty hefty motors, well over 1 amp, for example.
>   You can see my code where:
>
> http://cvs.at.or.at/viewcvs.cgi/arw/
>
> I can dig up more info if you are interested...
>
> .hc
>
> On Sep 25, 2004, at 9:33 AM, Samuel B Burt wrote:
>
>> Hi group!
>>
>> I am sure some of you have experimented with using PD to control
>> motors.  My friend Joel Grip is planning to build a giant marionette
>> puppet in his wood working class at the Maryland Institute of
>> Contemporary Art that we will use in our multi-media improvisations.
>> The goal would be to perform live with acoustic instruments and/or
>> computer generated/manipulated sound and have the marionette move in
>> reaction to our playing.  What I would like to know is where to find
>> information on what types of motors to buy and how to interact them
>> with PD.
>>
>> I checked out makingthings.com because I had heard about their
>> Max-motor interaction products.  They sent me the following response
>> to my inquiry:
>>
>>         Hi Samuel.  While we have intermittently run into interest
>>         in having Teleo interact with PD, this interest has not,
>>          unfortunately, been enough to warrant the time and effort
>>          it would take us to develop it.  So, as of now the answer is
>>          sadly no.  This is not set in stone, however, and it is
>> possible
>>          that at some point in the future, we'll move ahead with
>> development
>>         for PD, either based on a general growing interest or in
>> response to a
>>         particular job that we're doing.  But for the moment, it's not
>> very
>>          high on our list of priorities.
>>
>> Also, I am told that their products are really designed to move
>> smaller objects.  Our life-size wooden marionette would probably be
>> too heavy and wear the parts out too quickly.  If anyone has any
>> suggestions, they would be very appreciated.
>>
>> Samuel Burt

> _
> ____
>
> Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to
> realize his wishes.
> Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
> 		                                     -William Carlos Williams

> Now includes pop-up blocker!
> Only $14.95/ month - visit http://www.juno.com/surf to sign up today!

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."

                                                     - Thomas Jefferson