[PD] pdp files

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Sat Oct 9 13:30:28 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:26:02AM -0700, Lex Ein wrote:
> Tom Schouten wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:44:07PM +0200, Yves Degoyon wrote:
> >
> >> hola, i've put out a version here :
> >> http://tdegoyon.free.fr/pdp-0.12.4.tar.gz
> >
> > thanks for backup
> >
> >> never trust a hard drive!
> >
> > especially maxtor
> > you can use them to fry eggs though
>
> 1. Relax.

currently, i have no problems with that :)

> No drive vendor is immune.  Of FIVE of my failed hard drives,
> four were Quantum, Seagate, Western Digital, and a Samsung, which died
> prematurely due to overheating, stacked as it was beneath another drive..
> The 5th was installed in an industrial chassis in the floppy bracket,
> with extremely poor air circulation. It ran for a full year, then died
> due to overheating.  It was FedEx replaced under warranty in under two
> days.  It was a Maxtor.

all my failed drives were maxtor. all of them were late models (bought
in last 3 years). probably all due to overheating. seems you really need
to be careful. most of them were replaced in warrantee though.

> 2. Under sustained operation in completely unobstructed free air, all of
> these drives reached about the same temperature: 33-35 degrees measured
> at the hottest point on the case.
>
> 3. Inside a case, all modern hard drives should have a cooling fan.  It
> need not be a loud fan, just so there is turbulent air around the
> drive.

i got one 2 under control now, in an open case with lots of space
inbetween them. they stay around this temperature. closing the case
makes them very hot indeed. so i suppose fans are really necessary indeed.

> Every 10 degrees C rise in temperature ages electronics
> (including motor drive circuits) twice as fast.

where did you get this info?

> 4. Use a S.M.A.R.T. utility to monitor your drive temperature.  An early
> temperature rise can indicate motor or drive circuitry problems.

you know one for linux?

cheers
tom